- This trading strategy with five stocks from those of ETF (XLK), mainly with a dividend yield greater than that of the S&P 500 index, produces much higher returns than XLK.
- The universe from which stocks are selected holds point-in-time, the S&P 500 technology stocks of FactSet’s Revere Business Industry Classification System and some electronic payments industry stocks, similar to XLK.
- The model ranks the stocks of this custom universe with the Portfolio 123 “Greenblatt” ranking system and selects periodically the highest ranked stocks which also satisfy the stipulated yield requirement.
- From 1/2/2009 to 9/8/2020 this strategy would have produced an annualized return (CAGR) of 31.8%, significantly more than the 20.1% CAGR of XLK over this period.
The analysis was performed on the on-line portfolio simulation platform Portfolio 123.
Read more >
- This is a copycat trading strategy based on the quarterly 13F filings of five hedge funds.
- The model holds the top 20 consensus picks from a group of five hedge funds.
- Changes in the holdings occur only every three months when the end-of-the-month 13F filings becomes public information.
- From Jan-2007 to May-2020 this strategy would have produced an annualized return (CAGR) of 27.1%, much more than the 7.8% CAGR of the S&P 500 ETF (SPY).
Rational for a Copycat Strategy
Research from Barclay and Novus published in October 2019 found that a stock selection copycat strategy that combines conviction and consensus of fund managers that have longer-term views outperformed the S&P 500 by 3.80% on average annually from Q1 2004 to Q2 2019.
- The ratio of federal debt to the GDP is expected to rise dramatically due to the covid-19 pandemic fiscal stimulus. This should result in a significant gold price rally.
- The analysis shows that a trading strategy for gold miners is preferable to a buy-and-hold investment strategy of individual mining stocks.
- This momentum strategy selects periodically one gold mining stock from a set of three: AngloGold Ashanti Ltd (AU), Newmont Corp. (NEM) and Sibanye-Stillwater Ltd. (SBSW).
- The selection is based on the momentum of the percentage price change and the up/down volume ratio of the stocks.
- From Jan-2016 to Apr-2019 this strategy would have produced an annualized return (CAGR) of 80.6%, much more than that of the best performing single stock of the three considered.
The ratio of federal debt to the economic output of the U.S. is expected to rise dramatically by the end of 2020 as a result of the covid-19 pandemic fiscal stimulus. This, and low interest rates should result in a significant rally in gold, similar to the post 2008 gold price increase, as shown in the figure below.
(click to enlarge)
Read more >